Middle School Renaissance 2020
Who We Are
Middle School Renaissance 2020 - now doing business as NextUp - is a collaborative community initiative working to ensure that Richmond Public School (RPS) middle school students engage in meaningful Out-of-School Time (OST) programs designed to improve academic achievement, workforce readiness and social, emotional and physical health. NextUp uses a collective approach to increase the scale, quality and impact of OST programs creating an effective citywide expanded learning system for middle school youth.
NextUp’s model of coordinated high-quality services provides middle school students with a wide variety of hands-on learning and enrichment opportunities that motivate and inspire them to succeed. Our model gives students the freedom to discover new interests, develop new skills, explore career interests, and create relevant connections between the school day and out-of-school time experiences.
We are comprised of business and community leaders, city and school officials, educators, and foundation and nonprofit directors who’ve partnered to build an integrated OST system that will support and sustain quality after-school programs across the city.
NextUp is the trade name for Middle School Renaissance 2020, LLC.
Request for Application
NextUp seeks high quality, program providers for the following sessions at its Henderson and Boushall middle school sites:
- Session One: Oct. 5 – Dec. 17, 2015
- Session Two: Jan. 19 – Mar. 24, 2016
- Session Three: Apr. 4 – June 9, 2016
NextUp Program Provider Partners deliver positive and enriching experiences that keep students engaged in learning and coming back every day.
Please review the attached guidelines and application, and submit the application with required attachments to Joye Moore, firstname.lastname@example.org, by Friday, June 24, 2015.
- You can use Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader to fill in this form. Get the free latest version of Adobe Reader from: <http://www.adobe.com/go/reader>
- Click the attachment to open the form in Acrobat or Adobe Reader.
- When you are finished, click Submit to return your data to the form author.
- If you are not able to load attachments then please email them directly to email@example.com
Why We’re Needed
Research shows that effective OST programs benefit students, their families and the community.
In Virginia, 36% of middle-school students care for themselves after school, and only 9% participate in after-school programs.
OST programs offer a safe, fun and educational environment for students to participate in activities that support the development of academic, social and personal skills – outcomes that carry through to high school and beyond.
A coordinated OST system is essential to improving quality and expanding access to programs that foster academic and social benefits. MSR2020 and its partners will provide:
- Teambuilding and structured collaboration among schools, communities and providers.
- Shared data to understand student needs, track program quality and measure participation.
- Consistent program standards and professional development.
- Coordination of marketing, recruitment and student transportation.
- Stabilized funding sources.
- Increased student participation in high-quality programs
- Superior student outcomes, including:
- Increased school attendance
- Higher grades in key courses
- Heightened academic rigor
- Reduced behavioral incidents
- Increased social and emotional well-being
For out of school time system
- Better communication and collaboration among schools, service providers, city officials, students and families
- Creating programs that are relevant, engaging and effective
- More efficient use of school and community resources, and a more sustainable funding model
To sum it up: MSR 2020 provides opportunities for youth to continue their learning beyond the school day through a variety of enrichment activities that ensure they are productive, engaged and having fun!