Ujima Legacy Fund
UJIMA LEGACY FUND provides a forum for civic-minded African American men to increase our philanthropic presence and impact in the Metro Richmond community. Members contribute a minimum of $1,100 to participate in an investment pool to be awarded to one nonprofit selected through an application process. Ujima Legacy Fund seeks to support projects that will have a positive impact on youth and young adults (ages 12 to 21 years) in our region, with a particular emphasis on underserved youth populations. It is anticipated that one grant of up to $20,000 will be awarded in 2014.
To be eligible to apply for a Ujima Legacy Fund grant, your organization must be a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization that serves the residents of the City of Richmond, and/or the counties of Chesterfield, Hanover, Henrico, Goochland and/or Powhatan.
Ujima Legacy Fund seeks to support nonprofits that empower youth through education related initiatives. Education related initiatives include, but are not limited to:
- Afterschool/out of school time programming
- Career development
- College preparation
- Financial Literacy
- Technology training
Funding may be used for program support, specific projects or capacity building to strengthen the infrastructure and increase the program capacity of start-up or established organizations that serve the target demographic. Capacity Building requests could include:
- Planning activities: e.g., organizational assessments; strategic planning; or business planning for social enterprise
- Improving financial management or fund development
- Training for staff and/or volunteers
- Technology improvements that will have a significant impact on internal efficiency and allow for new ways of doing business
We regret that we cannot accept applications from:
- Individual religious institutions
- Private foundations
- Colleges and universities
- Individuals or scholarship applicants
We also cannot accept applications to support:
- Debt reduction or operational deficits
- Endowments or memorials
- Bridge funding or interim financing
- Partisan, political or legislative activities
- Legal expenses
Ujima Legacy Fund uses an online application format. To apply, please navigate to:
Username: ujima Password: ujima
Complete instruction guide can be found using this link.
To be considered, Ujima Legacy Fund proposals must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, March 7, 2014.
A volunteer committee of Ujima Legacy Fund will review requests, conduct site visits with selected organizations in April, and invite three finalists to present at a meeting of full membership on May 7, 2014.
The award decision will be finalized through a live vote on May 7, 2014.
The award will be announced and celebrated at the Annual Event by May 21, 2014.
Please click here if you are interested in becoming a member.
If you have questions about the Ujima Legacy Fund application process, please contact Elaine Summerfield at email@example.com or phone: 804-330-7400.